2.12.2012

Marimekko muses







..
..
..


..
..

This time of year I crave to be bathed in the color and
patterns of Marimekko. For more than 60 years, this design
from Finland has helped us escape tundra-states-of-mind.
.
I speak and read very little Finnish, but somehow the
vintage Marimekko fabric designs (and some of today)
speak to me. Sometimes in whispers, most often in jubilant
yelps, Marimekko designs tell me something about
where my ancestors came from, and always make me
smile.

What I have learned from Marimekko:
  • Great design is uplifting.
  • "One must stand out from the rest." Armi Ratia
  • Don't be afraid of color. Be aware of its power.
  • "Tension between simplicity and excitement." Fujiwo Ishimoto
  • "My most important mentor: Finnish nature." Vuokko Eskolin-Nurmesniemi
  • Tell your story.
  • http://us.marimekko.com/unfold/designers

No comments: