12.22.2016

Out of the Darkness, Germination

In December, it does help to remember that a lot of great things need no sunlight to germinate. I see seeds in some of my recent digital patterns, and so this is where I start the next 100 days.

Today I joined the "100 Day Project" creative community, lead by the lovely and lively Michigan artist, Cathy Benda. We met in July at the Grand Marais Art Colony. Last July proved to be one of my most productive art times, and now, I need some of the same mojo. In April,  the two-person exhibit, Threshold, that I share with Laura Grisamore is going up. There is a lot to do before the end of April.

I struggle with lack of sunlight during this time of the year, so when I read more information about the "Solstice to Equinox--Out of the Darkness Into the Light" project that started yesterday, I decided this is just what I need now! Taken from the100dayproject.com, this, right here, is what convinced me to commit:
"The 100DayProject is a creativity excavation. It’s about unearthing dormant or unrealized creativity by committing to a daily practice everyday for 100 days... Creativity is a skill. The more we practice, the more skilled we become. Practice takes time. Practice takes commitment.  Practice is a radical act in this speeded up world. Through practice, we develop a creative habit. Through habit, we reconnect with and know ourselves again as a creative being."
Week 1, so far:
Maybe memories of summer get me through this time of year. The last few weeks, I have been really into and making more of the Summer Patterns series, digital designs made from portions of my painting Between Summer Warmth & Summer Quiet. 

December 20: I ordered two of my pattern designs from Spoonflower.com to be printed on wallpaper sample pieces. Who knows where that may lead, but we will see how they print.

December 22: Signed up for 100 Day Project, Out of the Darkness Into the Light, and now, writing a blogpost.

Between Warmth & Summer Quiet, 2016, acrylic paint, 30" x 24"


No comments: