So, that got us thinking. Over a few days of making art and walking around beautiful Grand Marais, Minnesota, here are my answers.
Why do I make art?
- To plant the seeds of joy, hope, and my truth
- To make connections and meaning
- To connect to other people
- To simultaneously lose and find myself
- To step into the unknown without a plan, and simply trust
- To show my daughters (and students, and others) what it looks like to live the life I want to live
- To be a nicer, healthier version of myself, because I really do start to get irritated and then physically sick if I don't make art
- To be open, listen and keep learning
- To be free and make my own rules
- To have something of my own, and then share it
- To destroy, recycle, and build into something new
- To fail, try again, and face fear
- To touch and leave an imprint