2.03.2012

Layered processes



This week I shared some images of my work from over
the last nine years with my students. Also, I dehydrated
this pear andreassembled it to share with them. I was
trying to give them insightinto the creative process, how
ideas are born. Of course, there isn't a formula--but I
will say that for me it is extremely layered. Layers of
memories and experiences. Layers of images and
forms. Layers of ideas, failed attempts, and patience.
(I've learned to save failed attempts, because they
often point to the next step or are useful years later.)

Eight years ago I create a layered pear just like the one
above by dehydrating cross-sections of a pear and then
reassembling it. At the time, I was suffering from
dehydration during pregnancy. Carrying that dehydrated,
layered pear around the house over a few months, I
wondered how it could influence my next step of art-
making. In April 2004, our bundle was born and my
energy was restored. That layered pear led to four years
of creating pear-formed sculptures out of sewing pattern
paper, wire, and beeswax--and a solo show at the
SOHO20 Gallery in NYC. Ideas usually start small,
but they often grow in layers and sometimes get bigger
than I ever thought possible. (And yes, that also pertains
to children, now bigger than I ever thought possible!)
Nest, 2005
Sewing pattern paper, wire, beeswax, basswood log
New York Mills Cultural Center
.
AMBIOTIC, 2007
Sewing pattern paper, wire, beeswax, vintage ironing boards
Soho20 Gallery, New York City

2 comments:

Matt said...

Its amazing when you meet someone at the grocery store one has no idea the beauty of their heart & Gods creative gifts that flow so generously out into the world as one walks through life One Day at a Time
These talents should not be wasted

tibesonen said...

Thanks Matt!